Blackberry Playbook and OS 10 Help
Vectorial Map is a map browser for Mapsforge vector maps which are directly rendered on the device and do not require an internet connection. Mapsforge maps are ideal for outdoor activities or traveling where online access is not available or expensive. Because maps are rendered on the fly it is possible to style the maps with simple XML style sheets without having to download a complete map set each time. Vectorial Map also supports track and route loading from GPX and KML/KMZ files and waypoints.
If you have questions, bug reports, or any other feedback then contact us here.
The map view can be controlled using touch gestures:
- Pan: move the map.
It is also possible to zoom in and out using the zoom buttons.
Position Tracker (T)
If the position tracker is turned on then the map's center is moved to the current GPS location.
The position tracker is on when its foreground color is blue and off if it is white.
The current position is represented by a symbol and a circle which indicates the accuracy in meters:
Depending on the current location (e.g. in house, under trees, etc.) it might take a while until a GPS signal is received.
The trip computer shows the current speed, altitude, distance, and recording time. Distance and recording time are only shown during track recording. The trip computer is updated when a new GPS location update has been received.
The scalebar shows the current map scale in meters/kilometers or foot/miles. The scalebar's units can be changed in the Settings.
Vectorial Map can display online tile maps and offline Mapsforge vector maps. The online maps (e.g. OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap) have less display quality and should only be used for overview purpose.
Vector map download
Mapsforge vector maps can be downloaded here.
Importing vector maps
Offline vector maps (*.map) have to be copied into the folder "misc/VectorialMap/maps" on your Blackberry device. Therefore connect the Blackberry as a mass storage device on your PC/Mac and copy the map files to this folder.
The Mapsforge format stores maps as vector data and maps are rendered on the fly on the device. The map render style can be fully controlled using Mapsforge XML based style sheets. Some sample styles from the OpenAndroMaps project can be downloaded here.
Mapsforge styles have to be copied to the "misc/VectorialMap/styles" directory. Therefore connect the Blackberry as a mass storage device on your PC/Mac and copy the style files (XML and image files!) to this folder. The XML files can either be located directly in the styles directory, or in a sub-directory.
Tracks and Routes
Vectorial Map can display, record, and draw GPX and KML/KMZ files as tracks and routes.
Track vs. Routes
A track can be either loaded as a route or track. A route is path which cannot be edited and serves as a navigation help. To load a track as a route go to the "Track manager", select a track and choose "Open as route".
Tracks and routes can be removed from the current map view using the "Remove track" and "Remove route" menu entries (this will only remove the track/route from the map view but it will not delete the track from the database!).
Track Import and Export
Track files can be imported and exported by loading a track file in the "Track Manager" from an arbitrary location on your Blackberry device.
Tracks exported from Vectorial Map are stored in the directory "documents" directory.
Track Recording (R)
Track recording can be started with the track recording button (R). The button text is red during recording.
Waypoints represent points of interest at a certain location. If a track is loaded or being recorded then a new waypoint can be added using the menu entry "Add waypoint". Green waypoints represent track waypoints and red waypoints are route waypoints. Route waypoints cannot be added.
- track waypoint (editable).
- route waypoint (not editable)
- Enable waypoint dragging: if checked, then track waypoints can be dragged around on the map.
- Keep screen on: keeps the screen on. This is useful for navigation.
- Use alternative font: check this if text is not correctly rendered (for instance China). After changing this option the Vectorial Map app should be restarted.
- Units: select between imperial units (foot, miles) and metric units (meter, kilometer).
- Remember map position: if checked then map position will be restored when Vectorial Map is restarted.
- Show trip computer: show or hide the trip computer.
- Cache map data / persistant cache: if enabled then rendered map data is cached. This requires additional disk space.
- UI scale factor: the amount the UI elements are scaled. This is useful for devices with a high density, such as the Q10. For these devices we recommend to set this value to 2.
- Text scale factor: the amount text is scaled. A value less than 1 means that the text size is reduced and a value greater than 1 means that the text size is increased.
- Map scale factor: the amount the map tiles are scaled. A value less than 1 means that the map tile size is reduced and a value greater than 1 means that the map tile size is increased. Changing this factor does not affect the map quality because the scaling factor is applied to the raw vector data.
Tracks, routes, waypoints are stored in the SQLite database "vectorial.db.sqlite" located in the "misc/VectorialMap" directory. We recommend to backup this file regulary to a save location so that you have a backup in case of device loss or failure.